I see the movie The Dark Knight (2008) as a prophetic warning about a dark night. Of course, assigning metaphorical meaning to a movie requires some artistic license, but 2020, so far, has been the introduction to this time of evil that will necessitate a fight to keep America from losing the liberties we love. Evildoers have risen up as “the mob” led by the ultimate persona of evil choreographed as the Joker – a picture of Satan. Stopping “the steal” of election 2020 is the greatest example of “organized crime” we have ever witnessed. The Joker represents a deceiver of great intellect, filled with hatred for Gotham City (America). The Joker is capable of extensive planning, yet he is a person whose goals are not understood by the people who join him.
Alfred tells Bruce that “the mob turned to a man they didn’t fully understand,” just as many people of this world, such as BLM, don’t realize what an unfaithful partner they have tied into with their calling on the dead. The devil does not want money, but like the Joker, “Some men just want to watch the world burn.” The Devil comes to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10)1.
In one scene the question is asked “who appointed Batman.” Gordon answers: “We did, all of us who stood by and did nothing while scum took over the streets.” What we are facing now in America is the culmination of decades of willful neglect. But God will go to extraordinary measures to preserve this world from being destroyed before the end of the age. America is the pivotal nation the world turns on. Batman represents the sons of God (men & women who are dedicated, gifted, and trained by God). God’s servants must be willing to fight anonymously and be “chased and bitten by dogs”. Conversely, the copy-cat Batmen represent people who will try to do things and produce miracles without knowing Jesus.
I feel like the two ferries, late in the movie, represent the Republican and Democratic parties. They take a paper ballot vote on each ferry to decide what to do. Both parties have been given detonators which represent the potential selfish illegal things either side could do based on their own self-interest to “win” a contest (see the similar Benjamin Franklin quote). The democratic process is bound by this weakness of self-centered actions. The ferry scene alternates with the Swat team going in for the wrong targets, where the good guys are made to look like the bad guys by putting clown masks on them. This is exactly what the mainstream media helps to do in our day. They make the people trying to do what is right look like clowns – the bad guys. Things in our day are being flipped upside down. The dictates of rulers are attacking the good guys. Good is called evil and evil is called good. Isaiah 5:20 see the footnote in The Passion Translation quoted here:
“Their moral code is reversed as sin is accepted as something good. Not content to abandon what is good, they must label it as evil. Those who abandon the absolute standards of God’s Word will find a reversal of every true virtue. Good is mocked and evil is embraced. Light is ridiculed and darkness is worn like a cloak. The sweetness of God is called bitter; the bitterness of sin is called sweet.
In both of these situations, the Joker tries to get humans to do the killing, rather than kill the people himself. This is what the devil does in wars, especially civil wars.
Here are 5 typical strategies of the devil displayed by the Joker:
- Hidden messages such as the Joker cards represent the devil’s style of flaunting his plans in plain sight. Satan hides his plans in overt statements made by world leaders, as well as embedding them in some art forms such as heavy metal music. See this article and embedded videos:
”One of the first things I learned about the elites is that they have a code of ethics. Their code of ethics is not the same as …mine, we who believe the word of God and the Bible………one of the facets of their code of ethics is they must tell the world everything they are going to do before they do it and this is where the word “buzzwords” come in.” – Lindsey Williams
- Leading citizens get targeted by the Joker (Judge, DA, Commissioner) which is a demonic strategy. This is why we are commanded to pray for our leaders.
- Many times the Joker reminds Batman and Gordon of their mistakes and failures – how many people they let die. Satan likes to accuse and remind us of our failures. He is the accuser of the brethren (Revelation 12:10).
- The Joker uses the mentally ill and those susceptible to demonic urges to carry out attacks. This has happened in real life at the 2013 Washington Navy Yard shooting, the 2012 Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooting, and the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
- The crime world is dis-unified even when led by the Joker it is ruled by betrayal and fear – this is a Satanic effect.
Finally, the Joker puts a gun in Harvey Dent’s hand and gets him to do something in fleshly anger knowing the trauma he experienced would trigger hatred. The devil looks for a way to drag us into hatred. Dent goes on a rampage of revenge from that trigger point. We must guard against hate-based retaliation. This will lead to the fulfillment of Matt 24:10 “And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another.” It can become a downward spiral, driving people into the hands of demonic involvement through the release of extreme hatred.
Because the devil also lives in this world of ours we are forced to make many moral choices as depicted with the forced decision to save Rachel or Dent. Sometimes what we must do is terribly imperfect. But we must guard against becoming inflexible and unwilling to view things from another’s point of view which will result in the breakdown of our republic.
- The actor Heath Ledger who played the Joker died from an accidental overdose of prescription medications including painkillers, anti-anxiety drugs, and sleeping pills soon after the filming of The Dark Knight. Though perhaps not the case here, this is typical of how the devil uses people he gives something to.